I miss the rain. Because I grew up in Seattle, I used to take the rain for granted. It was going to happen, and probably sooner rather than later. Now that I've lived in the desert for ten years, I have come to view the rain with new appreciation.
The rain brings me peace. It makes this place really feel like home.
You know the saying when it rains it pours?? It's true in the desert. It's as if the heavens steal all the rain away from the desert for most of the year, and then, when it spills over the edges of the clouds, it all comes down at once. It wasn't until the first rainstorm after we moved into the house that we realized our house doesn't have gutters. Most houses here don't. It just doesn't rain enough to warrant them. While I thought it was odd at first, now it's sort of cool. The rain sheets off the roof all around the house, closing us in and giving us privacy and a sense of coziness.




Though I miss the rain, I love it here now.





1 comment:
I guess I need to move by you for awhile to find MY appreciation for the rain. Because it's raining right now and I seriously feel like crying. We barely had summer here. It was "cold" (barely 70-75) all summer and rained so often my grass never died (and I never ONCE set out a sprinkler to water it). And now it's raining and 52. And it's raining. Did I mention it's raining? And it's supposed to rain for the entire forseeable future. RAIN! I hate the rain... OH, how I hate the rain...
the rain sheeting off the house really does look pretty cool Though you must get pretty wet trying to run through it to get out of the house! LOL
Post a Comment